Right now I’m eating a vanilla gelato with coconut, caramel, and nuts mixed into it. This is the fourth time this week I’ve eaten gelato after dinner. I can’t help myself!!! Piazza Yenne is down the street from my apartment and there is this fantastic gelateria called “L’isola del Gelato” or “Gelato Island”. I mentioned this place during my first blog, and that time I estimated 20+ flavors of gelato. WRONG. I actually counted today and there are about 50 different types of crazy gelato flavors you could choose from, including yogurt options for those of us watching our beach figures. I don’t really know how a yogurt gelato is supposed to taste like, but it just seems odd to me. Who wouldn’t want this creamy deliciousness?!?! The unique thing about this place is that all their flavors are crazy…there is no normal vanilla or chocolate gelato in sight. They have nutella flavor, Ringo, Kit Kat, coconut, raisins, gummy worms, and other assortment of sweets mixed into it. I think I’ve gone there so frequently this week that one of the servers even recognizes me. “Eyyyy! You’re that girl from the US! I remember you!” he would exclaim as I order my gelato of choice. If I’m in the mood for a plainer flavor, I go to the place next door.
I haven’t ventured out to try any authentic Italian dishes just yet. Not only am I trying to save money on food by cooking, but I’m also still hooked on the most basic types of food Italy and Sardinia has to offer. Dinky slices of white bread we normally use for sandwiches? They’re for WIMPS. The bread here is so fresh and there are so many different kinds to choose from! They’re so soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside. Any type of cheese is delicious. And when you go to any market, the vegetable selections are (in my opinion) better and cheaper than what you could find in the states. Their pastries, pizza, and sandwiches you find in most bars are also awesome. Interestingly, the more popular type of pizza is called pizza a taglia, which essentially looks like flatbread folded in half with tomato sauce, basil, and mozzarella stuck inside. Oh! I almost forgot to mention that Sardinians, at least, are mildly obsessed with either espresso or nectarine juice. Haven’t tried their espresso yet, but in almost any building I go to, including my lab, you can always find some elaborate vending machine that makes many different kinds of coffee you want. This machine even pours your sugar, cream, or milk, and it even gives you a little stirring stick mix your espresso. I did try their nectarine juice, and it tastes like heaven. They are literally freshly squeezed from nectarine because it’s not as watery as most juices, but thick and awesome. Can you tell I’m eating a lot here?
Peace.
wrote this last night...sorry!
ReplyDeleteyou got me at the first sentence. miss you!
ReplyDelete