Friday, May 10, 2013

Beauty?

What do you think of when you hear the word "beauty"? What is your idea of it?

I guess what prompted me to ask this question are the conversations I've had with some people here in Los Angeles.  Obviously, what most people first think about when they hear "beauty" is the person / thing's visual appearance. And in a city where looks play a large factor in whether you get the job or not, I've talked to a lot of people who talk way too much about appearances, and judge others based on it. Sadly, I've slowly started to actually care about how other people perceive me based on my appearance. Before, I wore what made me feel good or what was on trend that I liked. Today, however, I took a little bit longer getting dressed. I was actually questioning how certain articles of clothing would make me look, and how what others would think of me for wearing it. I also started to notice other girls and compare myself to them. If society, or at least the people I keep meeting, places such a huge emphasis on outer beauty, then no wonder so many girls have insecurities about their looks!

Well, as Christina Aguilera once sang, "you are beautiful, in every single way", and I am here to re-iterate that message. I know that the concept of beauty can be different for different people, but for me, the things that make someone "beautiful" are actually their unique qualities, flaws, and most importantly, personality / intellect. I've talked to some attractive people out here in LA, but wow their personalities and intelligence can be a bit...lacking. For me, I can really engage with a person through interesting or thought-provoking conversations. Beauty can attract people to you, but I think intelligence and personality can keep them around. Also, what I find really beautiful is a quirk or a flaw that I wasn't expecting from a person. I love discovering something that I don't expect.

Anyways, enough about me. Just wanted to reiterate the message that who you are, and what you do, are beautiful. Do you. Do what makes you happy. If we all start to let opinions of others influence your idea of beauty, then the world would actually be a pretty boring place. Just think of the plastic surgery phenomenon that's going on in South Korea. All the girls look exactly the same, because they want to attain the looks that Korean society thinks is beautiful at the moment. So yeah...promise me to embrace everything about you.

** Addendum: A good friend of mine also brought up a good point. Happiness and confidence in yourself are major factors that contribute to beauty. If you believe you're beautiful, it will show externally. Love and believe in yourselves people!!

No comments:

Post a Comment