Monday, January 4, 2010

2010

Several days ago, I watched the new movie "Nine" with a couple of my friends. While it had some big-name actors including Nicole Kidman, Fergie, Kate Hudson, Penelope Cruz, and Daniel Day-Lewis, Rob Marshall actually created a pretty bad rendition of Frederico Fellini's famous classic "8 1/2". I had no idea what this movie was about until I sat through it, and I was in complete shock and amusement when I figured out it was based off of  "8 1/2". I love it when that happens- when you make a connection that you aren't expecting, and in turn it makes you appreciate the moment or object even more. Anyways, "8 1/2" is a movie about the movie making process. The protagonist of the movie, Guido, actually tells the personal story of Fellini himself having a "director's block" in which he doesn't know what his nineth movie should be about. While he tries to figure out what to produce, Fellini remembers some pivotal childhood memories as well as his fantasies which are all delicately and brilliantly interwoven with reality. "Nine" however is just about some confused and distracted director who can't seem to juggle all the women in his life. Not to mention some not-so-entertaining musical numbers. This movie lacked that magic that Fellini had in his movie. Fellini masterfully uses the camera and music to create scenes of pure imagination, memories, reality, or a combination of any of the two. I guess what I really like about the movie the most is that it kind of describes my life now.

Currently I'm half way through my junior year in college. At first I started off as extremely motivated- wanting to excel and take advantage of all the opportunities my wonderful school has to offer. But once I made my little niche and experienced a fair amount of things that the school had to offer, I'm now experiencing a "student's block". School is still the same. The people are the same (though I love all my friends dearly). And now I'm a little unsure of my future. What's the next step after college? I know I wanted to go to medical school, but are there any other options? I'm restless. I want some change. I want to experience something...anything.

Something about a new year changes your mentality, though. Although I may be in a rut now, I figured that the change that I want out of life won't be handed to me. I should take life in my own hands and make something of it, and this is my resolution for 2010. I want to pour my heart and soul into everything that I do, and not half-heartedly try to figure things out like Guido does in "8 1/2". I want to make some of my imaginations and musings come to life, and this is what I hope to do this year whether it be in a small or large way.

1 comment: