I visited my grandmother today at a nursing home in Gardena today. She is well over ninety years old, and she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease during my freshman year of college. Sadly, now all she can do is lie in bed. She can’t walk, talk, or eat on her own. It sucks because she was such an active and independent woman who managed to raise six kids and travel around the world even up to her late seventies by herself, and now she can’t remember all these good memories. While I was standing over her today, for the most part she stared blankly into space. But for a moment, I saw her eyes recognizing me, and she even tried to talk! At that moment, I realized that her inability to talk made this imperceptible barrier between me and her ever more real. She was unable to communicate her brief moment of awareness, and I felt I was unable to share this moment with her too.
I basically just wanted to share this story because today made me realize how special the bonds I have with my family and friends are. Rather than having this barrier that I, unfortunately, have with my grandmother, I am so lucky to have these people in my life, and appreciate the fact that they let me into theirs. The bond between two people is something that I often overlook, but sharing your daily life, dreams, and downfalls with another person is truly amazing. Just think about it! So what I truly want for Christmas this year is for everybody to be healthy and happy. I hope to live the life that my grandmother once lived, and I can’t wait to make new memories with the people in my life! Merry Christmas everybody!
P.S. If you’re interested in the philosophy and power behind language, you should read Martin Heidegger :)
To get you guys into the Christmas mood, I’m posting one of my favorite Christmas songs! Enjoy.
awww, me?!? Yes I really do love that song so much.
ReplyDelete